How to get from airport to Reykjavik city centre? All tips about airport transfers, shuttles and transport between Keflavík airport and Reykjavík Iceland.
From airport to hotel in Reykjavik
The Reykjavík International Airport (also called Keflavík International Airport or Flugstöð Leifs Eiríkssona) is located 50 kilometers southwest of the city center and has only one terminal. The other one, Reykjavíkurflugvöllur Airport, is also just two kilometers from the city, but this small airport is only for flights within Iceland. To get from Keflavík Airport in Reykjavik to your hotel in downtown Reykjavik you have a few airport transfer options:
1) Reykjavik airport transfers by bus
- Flybus: The Flybus airport transfer is a shuttle that operates between Keflavík Airport and the BSÍ Bus Terminal in downtown Reykjavík. The journey takes about 45 minutes and departure times are coordinated with the flight times, so these buses usually have a good connection. A Flybus Airport Transfer can be booked from around 27 dollar/euro (tip: book Flybus tickets online), making it the cheapest option to reach Reykjavík. Although tickets can also be purchased at the airport, Flybus advises you to book in advance to guarantee your spot on the bus. When booking your tickets you can choose from 2 options:
- Flybus Standard: With this ticket you will be dropped off at the BSÍ Bus Terminal (located 500 meters south of the famous Hallgrímskirkja). It is recommended to book airport transfer tickets in advance (tickets +/-27 dollar/euro).
- Flybus Plus (Hotel Pick Up): Flybus Plus (Hotel Pick Up): This ticket will drop you off at a selection of hotels and other bus stops in Reykjavik. Please note that the journey can take up to 30 minutes longer, depending on the location of your hotel. For the Flybus Plus, we definitely recommend to book your airport transfer tickets in advance (tickets +/- 34 dollar/euro).
- Airport Direct Bus: The Airport Direct Bus Transfer is another bus company that runs between Keflavík Airport and the Reykjavik Terminal at Skógarhlíð 10 in Reykjavik city center. With this company Airport Direct shuttle it is also possible to stop at certain hotels and bus stops. These are large orange buses that take you to the center in 45 minutes. It is possible to extend this for a surcharge with a SmartBus transfer where you are dropped off at certain hotels. It is recommended to book your airport shuttle tickets in advance (tickets +/- 27 dollar/euro, hotel surcharge 7 dollar/euro).
2) Taxi transfer from airport
A taxi takes an average of 45 minutes to get to the center. At the arrival terminal you will find a taxi rank, but keep in mind that a taxi ride will cost at least between 130 and 140 dollar/euro.
Book a taxi at the airport
You can also choose to pre-book a private airport transfer, where your driver will meet you at the terminal; you can easily book via this website, where a taxi driver will meet you at Keflavík airport with a name sign. With this you are sure of an available taxi and the price will hardly differ from a normal taxi. Simply check your fare at Welcome Pickups.
3)Reykjavík Airport Car Rental
Are you planning a tour of Iceland? Then you can also rent a car at the Reykjavik airport. We have very positive experiences with car rental at the airport through Easyterra. Easily compare different rental companies via the search engine below: